Bishop Ambrose Weekes RIP

The Rt Revd Ambrose Walter Marcus Weekes CB FKC, formerly Suffragan Bishop in Europe and my predecessor twice removed, died on Tuesday 24 April, one day before his 93rd birthday.

After a distinguished career as a Naval Chaplain (eventually Chaplain of the Fleet and Archdeacon of the Royal Navy) Fr Ambrose served several congregations in this diocese (Gibraltar as Dean, Tangier, Brussels and Montreux). He was named Auxilliary Bishop for Europe and then the first Suffragan Bishop in Europe, and served in this position from 1977 to 1986.

In retirement Bishop Ambrose lived at Charterhouse in London and was a faithful member of All Saints, Margaret Street. His funeral will be at All Saints on 5 May.

I am personally much indebted to Bishop Ambrose for his kindness towards me and his wise and often witty counsel on matters pertaining to episcopal ministry, especially in the first years after my appointment. I was also very much aware of and very grateful for his constant prayers for my ministry.
O God, mercifully accept our prayers which we offer for thy servant Ambrose; that he who laboured faithfully in the service of thy Name, may rejoice in the everlasting company of thy saints. Through thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for your kind words about Rt Revd Ambrose Weekes. I am Andrew Weekes, Ambrose's Great Nephew, based in Birmingham. Although I only met him a few times I was always inspired by his long and distinguished career and the many achievements he had throughout his life. Ambrose married my parents in 1980. I talk of Ambrose to friends and colleagues and they are always very impressed when I mention his achievements in life. A great man. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank you too for a splendid Obituary for Bishop Ambrose Walter Marcus Weekes, he will be remembered by all around the world whose lives he has touched as he was, indeed, a truly great, but humble man, with such kindness and generosity all mixed in with a twinkle of amusement in his eyes!
    As his next of kin, and good friend, I was a regular visitor, helping him through his infirmity these last three years, and saw him bear his physical decline with great dignity, always concerned with the well-being of others. He will be hugely missed. RIP.
    May I correct the date for his funeral? It is finalised as Thursday 10th May 2012, at 6.30pm, at All Saints Margaret Street, Refreshments to follow. These details also on: http://www.allsaintsmargaretstreet.org.uk/diary.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Requiem will be said for Bishop Ambrose at st Nicholas' Church, HMS DRAKE in Plymouth. A Church he knew well as a Naval Chaplain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell to the Diocese in Europe

Canon Frances Hiller

Archbishop of Canterbury's Pentecost Letter: A European Consequence